Subject: Re: JavaStation running 1.5_A
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/17/2000 10:07:43
On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 04:40:43AM -0700, Todd Whitesel wrote:

 > Are you using the keyboard that came with it?
 >
 > I believe Sun ships a PS/2 compatible keyboard with the JavaStation.
 > The connector is very similar (but not identical) to the Type 4 and 5.
 >
 > Also, what about "dev / ls" and other openfirmware silliness.

On my JS-1, the PS/2 keyboard is simply not recognized by the PROM.  Here's
the story.

The JS-1 comes with output-device=screen and input-device=ttya.  Hook
a terminal up to the serial port, send a BREAK, and you'll get "ok".
Type away, it's cool.

Set input-device=keyboard, and the PROM will happily report "no keyboard
present" right after it issues the reset command.

I'm guessing that the PROM is trying to get the keyboard ID from the
keyboard, and since it doesn't report "sun-type-4" or "sun-type-5",
so the PROM ignores it.

It all smells like an attempt to keep people from futzing with the PROM.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>