Subject: Re: cd-r stops boot
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/06/2000 11:25:55
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
>
> # I just added a CD-R drive to my sparc IPX but the machine won't boot with
> # it attached.  It doesn't even get to the
> # "Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0 File and args: netbsd"
> # message.
> #
> # I've removed all other external SCSI devices from the system, found the
> # shortest cable I have, made sure its terminated, etc.  If the CD-R drive
> # is simply not powered on, the machine will boot, but thats not quite good
> # enough.
>
> What's "probe-scsi" have to say about this?
>
> # The active internal termination on the CD-R drive is disabled and an
> # external passive termination is in place.
> #
> # Any ideas?
>
> You've probably already heard it, but is the ID on your CD-R set to either
> 3 or 7?  That would cause some consternation on an IPX (3==internal,
> 7=host adapter).

what I had was

1==CD-R
2==scanner
3==internal hard drive
4==CD-ROM
5==Tape
6==Zip

but this didn't work.  I found that removing the CD-ROM and putting the
CD-R at 4, things work.  I guess I don't need both the CD-ROM and CD-R
except that the CD-R isn't bootable by the sparc but the CD-ROM is.

A little more experimenting shows that with the CD-ROM at #1, also causes
it to not boot.  The zip is constrained to 5 or 6 (only 2 settings it
has).  I tried moving the hard drive to 0 and putting a CD-R{,OM} at 1,
but that also didn't work.

-Dan