Subject: Re: cd-r stops boot
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/06/2000 08:15:11
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

# I just added a CD-R drive to my sparc IPX but the machine won't boot with
# it attached.  It doesn't even get to the
# "Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0 File and args: netbsd"
# message.
#
# I've removed all other external SCSI devices from the system, found the
# shortest cable I have, made sure its terminated, etc.  If the CD-R drive
# is simply not powered on, the machine will boot, but thats not quite good
# enough.

What's "probe-scsi" have to say about this?

# The active internal termination on the CD-R drive is disabled and an
# external passive termination is in place.
#
# Any ideas?

You've probably already heard it, but is the ID on your CD-R set to either
3 or 7?  That would cause some consternation on an IPX (3==internal,
7=host adapter).

#
# Thanks
# -Dan