Subject: Re: qec/be performance trouble
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/22/2000 12:02:49
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, der Mouse wrote:

[snip]

> Trouble is, I can't get fast-ether performance out of be0!  Everything
> I've tried seems to max out at a few hundred KB/sec, about what I get
> out of the (10Mbit) onboard le0.  This despite the card being
> configured for 100:

Same here.  I get almost exactly the same performance from 10 meg vs. 100
meg on my be0 interface.

[snip]

> But I still can't get more than 10Mbit-style performance out of it.  Is
> the SS1+ just too slow a machine to sustain more than that?  Surely it
> can do *somewhat* better than 10Mbit, even if not full 100Mbit!  I was
> entertaining notions that the driver was leaving the chip in 10Mbit
> mode despite claiming otherwise, until I noticed that in that case it
> wouldn't even be talking to a port configured for 100-only.

Mine is in a SS5 machine, running 1.4.1, so I don't think it's the SS1+'s
fault for lack of speed.

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions - just a "me too."

-Jon
 "Hey - this old machine screams like a snail on acid!" - (a true
  comment by a fellow who recently installed NetBSD on an old server)