Subject: Re: your mail
To: Greg Dunn <dunn.greg@home.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/14/2000 20:10:41
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Greg Dunn wrote:

# OK, I'll admit that I'm not good at elementary math sometimes... my
# advanced calculus and diff. eq. pushed it all out of my brain.  :-)
#
# But after successfully booting my SPARC LX off a floppy, installing
# from the CD (NetBSD 1.4.1 - it was all I had handy) and configuring
# the system, I cannot for the life of me get the sucker to boot off
# the HD.
#
# My HD is at SCSI 0 (yes, I know the Sun boot PROM sees it
# differently) and I can exit the NetBSD installer and mount /dev/sd0a
# at /mnt.  It shows the root partition when my kernel "netbsd"
# resides.  I quit to the Sun monitor and type:
#
# ok setenv boot-file netbsd
# ok setenv boot-device /sbus/esp/sd@0,0
# ok boot
#
# as suggested in the install file, and I get
#
# SCSI device 0,0 is not responding
# Can't open boot device
#
# I changed boot-device to /sbus/esp/sd@3,0 just to be sure I didn't
# misunderstand the instructions, but it doesn't work either.  In fact,
# I tried all 6 devices without luck.  Grr.  What stupid simple mistake
# am I making? (grovel, grovel)

Have you tried 'probe-scsi' to see what's going on there?

# --
# | Greg Dunn                       | Every year is getting shorter,    |
# | gregdunn@indy.net               | never seem to find the time       |
# | The Sultan of Slack(tm)         | Plans that either come to nought  |
# | http://www.indy.net/~gregdunn/  | or half a page of scribbled lines |
# |                                 |                  Pink Floyd       |
#

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD:  Can we risk exposing the humans to our advanced technology?