Subject: Re: Solaris emulation problems
To: Alexander Strauss <strauss@astracom.net>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/08/2000 08:38:25
On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Alexander Strauss wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've setup a Sparc Classic with Solaris emulation as described in
> compat_svr4(8) - the Solaris files are located in /emul/svr4, and my
> kernel build includes the options "COMPAT_SVR4" and "EXEC_ELF32".
> Anyway, if I try to execute a simple Solaris 7 program, the kernel fails
> to execute it:
>
> alex@modena:/mnt/bin:(5)> ./less
> ./less: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.
> alex@modena:/mnt/bin:(6)>
>
> Any suggestions?

Make sure it's a 32-bit ELF executable and not 64-bit ELF:

	file ./less

You cannot run 64-bit binaries on a 32-bit machine.

If that checks out, then try ldd to make sure all the libraries can be
found and ktrace to find out where it's dying.

If it dies inside one execve then try using objdump on it to dump the ELF
headers.

Eduardo Horvath