Subject: Re: upgrading Sparc 1+ running 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 - what's the best method?
To: Craig Ian Dewick <craig@lios.apana.org.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/03/2000 15:15:49
Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

> I'm running NetBSD 1.4.1 (binary release - just using a generic kernel) on
> a Sparcstation 1+ as my FTP server machine, and I'd like to upgrade to
> 1.4.2 now that it's been available for a while.

I've heard one or two secondhand reports that 1.4.2 _may_ not be as
stable as 1.4.1.  I don't follow port-sparc too closely - anyone got
any comments on this?  FWIW ftp.au.netbsd.org is a sparc quite happily
running 1.4.1 (except the disks aren't big enought!)...

> What is the best way to perform the upgrade? Previously I set up the 1.4.1
> binary release to netboot from this machine (Sparc 20 running Solaris), so
> can I upgrade that way? Should I upload the tarballs to the 1+ and extract
> them over the top of the 1.4.1 filesystems with the machine running
> single-user?

I usually do something like:

	extract just new kernel
	reboot into multiuser
	extract all sets except etc.tgz
	extract etc.tgz somewhere safe and hand-merge
	reboot

I usually NFS mount the area where I load the sets from so it's easier
for me to do that in multiuser.  If you've got somewhere local for the
sets then single-user is more than enough.

Simon.