Subject: Re: serial terminal connection behavior
To: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/2000 11:22:05
> Well, it installed and configured fine.  To test the net connection,
> I started a ping from the root shell via the terminal connection.
> After verifying that it worked, I tried to control-C out of ping --
> and the program refuses to end.  I've tried sending a break, copying
> a binary file made up of control-Cs to the serial port, all kinds of
> things.  Is there a key sequence I can send from minicom that will
> stop the program running on the SPARC? I don't see this addressed in
> the FAQ.

Bizarre!

Out of interest, do you see the '^C' echoed on the terminal when
you do try and CTRL-C ping, or not?

The reason I ask, is the only thing I can think is that your serial
cable might be a bit dicky...  Sending a BREAK down the serial port
to a Sparc normally breaks you out to the OpenBOOT prompt (IMHO, one
of Sun's most bloody annoying features - turning on the serial console
can bring down a server <sigh>.)

If sending a break doesn't work, and you don't see ^Cs echoed back,
I would definitely suspect serial cable weirdness - probably in the
control line department.

(Actually, I've found minicom to be a right royal pain the arse in
general - I'd try and pick up a dedicated serial console if you are
going to leave the machine headless.  An ancient 286 laptop or similar
can usually be got for nothing and works a treat (I use an old Psion-MC
portable computer!))

Tata,
Tim.

--