Subject: Re: Used to be: Re: SparcStation 5 vs. 10
To: Tom Uban <uban@ubanproductions.com>
From: Anthony DeLorenzo <gonzo@vex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/2000 12:41:30
> Is there a processor upgrade path that is worth the expense for an IPX?

The Weitek PowerUP is an 80mhz replacement processor for the IPX and
SS2.  It doubles the processor speed (on the 40mhx SS2 I don't know what
the IPX ships with).

Rave[1] sells them new for $195 US and refurbished for $100 US, so you'll
have to decide if it's worth it.  If you're like me, the cost of this is
more than you paid for the rest of your system.  I've got one coming right
now that I picked up on ebay for $60 US to pop into my SS2, although they
seem to sell for ~$100 most of the time.

The various benchmarks I've seen (Specint and bogomips) seem to support
anywhere from a 1.4 to 2.0 increase.  Floating point tests seem to show
the greatest improvement.  (Sorry, I don't have the numbers around.)  I
can't speak from any personal experience until my chip arrives.

Regards,

Tony

1 http://www.rave.com/hard-weitek.html

# Anthony DeLorenzo <gonzo@vex.net>