Subject: Re: Sparc Classic dilemma
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/2000 12:41:54
On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, David Maxwell wrote:

# On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 12:10:32PM -0500, dp@recycled wrote:
# > IIRC you can't read Sparc written filesystems in x86 boxen and vice versa due
# > to endian difference. You need to put the disk into another sparc.
# >
# > Quoting Patrick Larkin <plarkin@beth.k12.pa.us>:
# > > > Boot net or fix the disk in another machine.
# > >
# > > I'm trying the latter at the moment.  I have the disk out and in a BSDI
# > > machine but I'm having no luck mounting it.
#
# For versions of Unix (and derivatives) that don't use a hashed password
# table, you can sector edit the drive and search for 'root:0:0' (or the
# appropriate literal for that OS) and replace the encrypted password.

For that matter, if you know how to read and calculate inodes and offsets
by hand, you can probably find the file pretty easily

[have copies of <sys/ufs/ufs/{di{r,node},inode}.h> and <sys/ufs/ffs/fs.h>
handy.]

# I did this for a SCO admin who had no emergency boot floppy built, and
# changed the root password the day before starting a 3 week training course
# out of the office - and couldn't remember the new password upon returning
# to the office.

				--*greywolf;

	OpenSource is NOT exclusive to Linux.  Explore your options!