Subject: Re: Sparc Classic dilemma
To: Patrick Larkin <plarkin@beth.k12.pa.us>
From: Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/2000 18:12:49
> > a) partly hosed if the EEPROM is not password protected

Boot net or fix the disk in another machine.

> > b) really hosed if the EEPROM is password protected.

> I simply pulled the thing out of its socket, stuck it in my
> UniSite, read it, and examined the hex dump. The EEPROM
> password was in plain text, and was glaringly obvious.

Alternative 2: If your Classic boots from sd3:a, get a disk with
SunOS4 at that location with known root password and boot the Classic
to multiuser. Log in as root and strings - /dev/eeprom and do a bit of
guessing. If you only can get SunOS5 you can do the same thing but you
are limited to the eeprom command.

Harald.