Subject: Re: Sparc 10 new disk prblm....
To: Hezekiah Mcmurray <hez@mayo.caltech.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/15/2000 20:36:48
On May 15, Hezekiah Mcmurray wrote:
> If I type boot0 or boot3 I get the can't open devie thingo --

  "boot disk" tells the machine to boot from scsi id #3.

> not really familiar with the unti3<->unti0 swapping madness (????)...

  For really crazy reasons, for the introduction of the sun4c line
(ss1, ss1+ ss2, ipc, ipx, slc, elc) Sun decided to swap scsi IDs 3
and 0 in their boot ROMs and default kernel configs.  So, where we
might order our disks on a more sane system 0123, on a post-sun4 SPARC
box we'd order them 3120.

  Note that this is *not* a requirement...just a default
configuration.  You can override this in the nvram ("setenv
boot-device disk0" or similar) and in the SunOS kernel config files.
NetBSD comes with a kernel config file called GENERIC_SCSI3 which
performs this historical remapping for you, so you don't have to go to
the trouble of swapping your disks around when you move to NetBSD.

                    -Dave McGuire