Subject: re: INSTALL kernel size
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/2000 21:18:07
On Fri, 5 May 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

# On Thu, 4 May 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:
#
# > If I wanted to boot from anything other than disk/net/CD, I'd want to
# > boot from SCSI tape.  I have several possible boot drives, including an
# > original external QIC-150.

1.  I'd actually like to be able to boot from an Exabyte!

2.  PCs can boot from the net -- if they have a BIOS chip on the NIC.

# 	In particular its a real win for when you do not have the hosts
# 	or access to setup rarpd, bootpd/bootparamd, and export the
# 	appropriate files via nfs.
#
# 	The set of people who would use QIC-150 to boot is probably
# 	smaller than that who would use floppy, but it would also be
# 	useful functionality, particularly for those on sun4 machines...

I have booted from floppy -- and have created my own boot floppy for
just - <leghorn> "Ah say, just such an emergency."</leghorn>.  And I
still say I'd like to be able to boot - and install - from an Exabyte
2G tape.

I somehow don't think it's possible since the EXB-8200 can't provide a
blocksize smaller than 1k, and the Suns require a 512-byte boot block
size.

				--*greywolf;
--
	OpenSource is NOT exclusive to Linux.  Explore your options!