Subject: Re: INSTALL kernel size [and my 4/110] :o)
From: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/2000 17:54:55
David Brownlee wrote:
>         The set of people who would use QIC-150 to boot is probably
>         smaller than that who would use floppy, but it would also be
>         useful functionality, particularly for those on sun4 machines...

Heh. Patches so that the sun 4/110 worked under 1.4.x remote boot would
be nice too... :oP I've been trying for a couple of months on my network
and recently spent 6 hours at a friends house a couple nights ago with
my sun 4/110 trying to get 1.4.x to remote boot over the network.

My network is composed of too many windows boxes and a single linux box
(Slackware 7 distribution) and I managed to get these results:

The 1.4.2 remote bootloader is broke. The 1.4.1 boot loader works fine.
1.4.1 kernel doesn't do anything, the 1.4.2 kernel loads up and
repeatedly transmits a rarp, which responses were sent to, however the
kernel never saw the responses and eventually timed out. The boot
process was monitored by tcpdump and the console (where the kernel
claimed it was an NFS problem.) Notably when I told it to retry the ie()
for it's root the ie() driver started complaining of problems.

The friends network is composed of 2x SS2 (OpenBSD), IPX (OpenBSD RB),
IPC (OpenBSD), i486 (NetBSD), and 1486 (Debian/Linux). Trials against
his network managed to give us these results:

OpenBSD's NFS was totally incompatible with the remote bootloaders, as a
result the kernel couldn't be downloaded. The NetBSD machine wouldn't
handle rarp requests (not sure why, this threw us for a loop), and his
linux box got results similar to mine.

My 4/110's only functional drive is an old QIC unit in a shoebox (no
inboard drive space on this thing). The two EDSIs that came in the
shoeboxes are dead and I haven't managed to attach another scsi drive
inside the shoeboxes and have it work yet. The scsi cables are old 3 pin
row monsters outside, and 50-pin ribbon on the inside.

-Gerald

--
* glassman1@neonshadow.net ->  Lord  Phear  <- ICQ UIN 8838302     *