Subject: Re: INSTALL kernel size
To: None <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2000 22:04:25
> Whatever is done with the boot floppy (or floppies), could the sparc
> port please try to keep a single "floppy" image boot filesys (ffs format)
> of whatever size it needs to be, for those of us who never actually use
> floppies to boot sparcs?   That is, in my life, I have booted sparc systems

Agreed.  I've never booted a sparc off a floppy either.

> So, certainly keep the images as small as is reasonably possible,
> but whatever size is needed for a single ffs image, please allow it
> to grow to that big, and keep that version (in addition to whatever
> is done for those who do use floppies to boot - and when other
> measures eventually fail to allow a single floppy boot system).

I think its time to introduce a sparc/floppyfs? to cater for that
niche.  And let bootfs grow within reason.  Does _anyone_ boot sparc's
off floppy?

> Then on the other issue - I am getting to the stage of having IPv6 only
> nets (soon I hope) where an IPv4 boot would be useless ... but on the other

Interesting.  What routers are you using?  I've not heard much from
any of the router vendors about supporting IPv6.

--sjg