Subject: Re: Remote booting with 1.4.x?
To: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/02/2000 10:11:00
On Mon, 1 May 2000, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Okay, i've messaged a few times. At this point I am looking to know if
> there are any known fatal compatibility issues between the NetBSD 1.4.2
> generic kernel nfs driver and the linux ports of the rpc daemons?

	Some linux nfs implementations more or less work, others are
	less fortunate. If you are running a recent redhat then you'll
	need to tell mountd to respond to nfs2 requests only, otherwise
	the stupid thing responds to nfs3 requests, but when the client
	tries to actually perform an nfs3 operation, it is ignored.

> What I have is my Sun 4/110 manages to get as far as all the way through
> kernel startup to mounting the root, which is an nfs share on my linux
> box and then crashes trying to mount root.
>
> I'm looking for bright ideas to maybe get this working, anyone?

	Send the exact error message, plus /etc/exports on your server.
	(I would say run NetBSD on the server, but lets try to fix the
	problem first :)

		David/absolute
				   -- www.netbsd.org: Value design over hype --