Subject: Re: Floppy errors
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/30/2000 22:23:57
On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:00:53AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

>    > fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 (st0 40<abnrml> st1 1<no_am> st2 0 cyl 0
>    > head 0 sec 1)
>    > [...]
>    > Does this mean my drive is dead or what? According to the previous owner the
>    > drive was working fine a month ago, so maybe it got damaged in shipping.
>
>    This error has been reported before; it is almost certainly caused
>    by an error in the driver, but I've no idea exactly which of the
>    errors it is..
>

> i'm not so sure it is the driver.  i've had this problem occur to me 90%
> of the time when the floppy itself was bad.  i couldn't use it anywhere,
> even though in some cases i had been using floppies elsewhere right upto
> the moment this error first occured.  the other 10% of the time, another
> drive seems to still be able to read the floppy, but often this is just
> another sparc, not a pc, etc..
>

> floppy's are bad, m'kay?

These are floppies which work fine in my Mavica camera and in my Mac Quadra
650 (and there the drive's eject hardly works and sometimes even crashes the
machine). Though one friend of mine has had problems using a floppy from my
camera on his pc. This floppies are also relativly new (purchased late
December).
--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis