Subject: Re: Anyone want to port NetBSD to a SPARC powered cray ?
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/28/2000 09:36:00
Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>  wrote:
 > Ignoring the 3-phase 30+W power requirements and likely air conditioning
 > requirements, I know Cray had access to SunOS sources so it probably runs
 > a custom version of the OS.  Now that Cray's down the tubes where do you
 > expect to get hardware details on this beastie?  If it runs on a custom
 > backplane like the other Cray SPARC machines you will most likely need to
 > write some low level bus probe/attach code.

I saw a bunch (4) of the cpu boards for these things when I was in the
Bay area last week.  One of my favourite surplus haunts had them just
sitting there.  I was hoping the cpu modules were mbus but alas, they
weren't.   I think there were 8 39Z050's on each board and it was
definitely a custom backplane.

Knowing this place, they'd probably sell them for 'silicon scrap value'
or maybe $50each.