Subject: Re: Sparc Classic serial (zstty) max bps
To: Jon Lindgren , Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/25/2000 12:59:40
I seem to recall the SS1 having a Zilog 8530 Serial Communications
Controller (SCC) for the tty ports.  While the 8530 has a lot of
interesting capabilities, a large FIFO isn't one of them.  I believe it had
a single character FIFO so an interrupt is generated for every character,
not the best design for high speed data... :(

The original Macintosh's (128, 512K, Plus, SE, etc) also used the 8530.
For their high-speed LAN (200+ Kbps), they basically took over the
processor while receiving or transmitting messages.  Since the 8530 could
use HDLC framing, this was possible since the interrupt intensive routines
only kicked in when a message for the particular machine was received.  I
do recall running 56Kbps serial through the modem port but I don't know if
the architecture of the SPARC and the SS1 will support 56K.

Just my US$0.02...

steven_grunza@ieee.org