Subject: Re: [OT] SPARCclassic->VGA monitor connection
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: kaz-k) <kazk@yyy.or.jp (Kazuyoshi Kato>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/24/2000 06:18:54
> I'm using Mitsubishi RD15G multiscan display for
> my SPARCstation1+ and sun3/80.
>
> > monitorDSUB15(mini)    VGA adaptor          Sun
> >  (1)Red <------------- (1) <----------< (A1)
> >  (2)Green <----------- (2) <----------< (A2)
> >  (3)Blue <------------ (3) <----------< (A3)
> >  (6)R.GND <----------- (6) <----------< (A1 GND)
> >  (7)G.GND <----------- (7) <----------< (A2 GND)
> >  (8)B.GND <----------- (8) <----------< (A3 GND)
> > (10)Sync GND -------- (10) ------------ (1)Srial Read, (7)Write, (10)GND
> > (13)H/HVSync <------- (13) <----------< (5)Comp Sync, (6)Hort Sync
> > (14)Vert Sync <------ (14) <----------< (2) Vert Sync
>
> (2)vertical sync and (6)horizontal sync may be obsoleted.
> Only (5)compsite sync should be connected to (13)H/V sync.
> Then it should be:
>
> >  (1)Red <------------- (1) <----------< (A1)
> >  (2)Green <----------- (2) <----------< (A2)
> >  (3)Blue <------------ (3) <----------< (A3)
> >  (6)R.GND <----------- (6) <----------< (A1 GND)
> >  (7)G.GND <----------- (7) <----------< (A2 GND)
> >  (8)B.GND <----------- (8) <----------< (A3 GND)
> > (10)Sync GND -------- (10) ------------ (10)GND
> > (13)H/HVSync <------- (13) <----------< (5)Comp Sync
>
> There are also "sense signal" to determine resolution
> at 13W3 connector. From The Sun hardware reference:
>
> ---
>                                  gray/          1  gnd*
>         red   *   *              green blue     2  vertical sync*
>          |   1o  2o  3o  4o  5o    |     |      3  sense #2
>         (O)                       (O)   (O)     4  sense gnd
>             6o  7o  8o  9o 10o                  5  composite sync
>              *   *                              6  horizontal sync*
>                                                 7  gnd*
>         * Considered obsolete, may not be       8  sense #1
>           connected.                            9  sense #0
>                                                 10 composite gnd
>
>    The codes for the three monitor-sense bits are:
>
>         0 ???                   4 1152 x 900 76Hz 19"
>         1 reserved              5 reserved
>         2 1280 x 1024 76Hz      6 1152 x 900 76Hz 16-17"
>         3 1152 x 900  66Hz      7 no monitor connected
> ---
>
> For 1152x900x66, (3)sense #2 should be connected to ground.
> My SS1+ uses 1152x900x66 by default, though.
> (i.e. all sense lines are open)
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui
> tsutsui@creres.dti.ne.jp

Hi,

Thanks for you tip, it worked!  In order to attempt your tip, I made
surgical operation on _the adaptor_ to cut Hort sync line(seems Vert
sync line was accidentally connected to VGA pin 14, because it was not
soldered, however the cut end wasn't processed and contacted with pin.
Probably somebody in R.O.C. didn't checked it up before shipping, I
guess.)
Anyway, now I'm installing NetBSD onto classic via NFS to say good bye
to Solaris.  ;-)

Thanks Tsutsui-san and other guys for your help.

-- kaz-k