Subject: Re: Time to get off the fence.....
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/23/2000 23:17:05
[ On Friday, April 21, 2000 at 15:13:51 (-0400), NetBSD Bob wrote: ]
> Subject: Time to get off the fence.....
>
> My problem is this.....
>
> 1.  I use NetBSD on most everything, except sparcs, because the sparc
>     port has been less than optimal.  Currently, the 1.4.2 port, plus
>     a minor fix or two is about equivalent to the OpenBSD port, on the
>     sparc, which I have been using for several years, currently at 2.6+.

22:17 [82] $ uname -a
NetBSD most 1.3.2 NetBSD 1.3.2 (MOST) #0: Sun Sep 20 01:28:07 EDT 1998     woods@most:/usr/src-1.3.2/sys/arch/sparc/compile/MOST sparc
23:03 [83] $ uptime
11:03PM  up 116 days,  5:34, 8 users, load averages: 1.19, 0.58, 0.32

That's a headless sparc-2 w/64MB RAM and four SCSI drives, a tape drive,
and a CD-ROM, all the latter in an external chassis (no drives inside to
cause heat or power problems).

The last couple of reboots have been because of UPS and other power
reconfigurations or else the uptime would be easily double that.

It serves a diskless SS-1 nee SS-1+ as my desktop, running the same OS
with NetBSD x11.  The SS-1+ has been less stable for some reason but the
SS-1 had uptimes of over 80 days.  The X11 XsunMono server crashes
regularly about once a week unless I logout and login again (and
recently has been prone to causing the SS-1+ to panic on the way down
too).

The server machine does quite a bit of everything else too, including
mail, ftp, NFS, and DNS, and recently WWW as well, for all of weird.com
and a few virtual hosts....  Until about a year ago it was my CVS server
too...  (I'd love to have a much faster sparc for development but I
don't see needing to replace or upgrade the server hardware any time
soon.)

(they really do need their OS upgraded to NetBSD-1.4.2 though and since
I've got a cable modem now I only need a spare "round tuit"....)

--
							Greg A. Woods