Subject: Re: Time to get off the fence.....
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/23/2000 18:14:28
On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 10:09:34AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> High load briefly every five minutes?  Hm.  My X sessions would have
> three processes running once a second (as the clock ticks).  So
> naïvely, your machine should last about 300 times as long (five minutes
> divided by one second is 300).  And MTBF for my X session would be
> somewhere around a week.

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know what this is all
about, but if it's about Sparc 1+ / NetBSD stability, I have only one
thing to say:

jmarin@pyy ~ %(351)uname
NetBSD
jmarin@pyy ~ %(352)uptime
 6:11PM  up 459 days, 18:28, 13 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.18, 0.12

:-)

(Yes, we moved, but I'm a crazy person and I carried my SS1+ here with
an UPS..... O:-)

Obviously, this system is still running NetBSD 1.3.3.  It is used daily
for e-mail, WWW proxy, IRC, and some smaller compiling tasks.  I _think_
it has crashed once or twice during the last few years, but not too
often..  Uptime is only 459 days because I had to replace my system disk
(a Quantum Empire that broke) back in 1999.

  -jm