Subject: Re: Time to get off the fence.....
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2000 14:16:39
On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 00:28:28 -0400, der Mouse wrote:

> For what it may be worth...my experience indicates that there is
> something damnably subtle wrong with NetBSD on the SS1+, but not the
> IPX.  I haven't had an opportunity to find out whether it's an issue on
> an SS1 or not, but it well could be.

I have an SS1 (with 1.4.1) as my home machine and your story sounds
familiar.

Random programs dies in completely innocuous circumstances.  Most
often it's either Xsun or WindowMaker.  CC sometimes crashes on BUS or
SEGV while compiling big files.  Fortunately it doesn't happen often
but is still very annoying.

I first thought I'm bumping into small stack ulimit (512K only) that I
have discovered while bootstrapping clisp.  But now I have it bumped
to 8M and this makes no difference. (And I have hard time believing
that Xsun needs more that 512K of stack in the first place).

What's most frustrating is that this glitch have killed a couple of
*very* promising Valkyries.  One of them was my best one ever. :-(

SY, Uwe