Subject: Re: Heavy use of FFS on Sparc sun4m machines under 1.4.X causes panics.
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/16/2000 13:09:59
	Hello Paul.  This never ending saga with FFS on Sparc 4m machines
has taken a new turn.  Here to for, I've been running INN-1.4 on this
system with the results I've described very consistently.  I've recompiled
the source to take advantage of the latest 1.4.X libraries to no avail.
	In an attempt to provide some new functionality, I I installed the
inn-2.2.2 package from www.netbsd.org.  I installed the source package, and
compiled it locally.  Now that it's up and running, it's been chugging
along for 24 hours, receiving and sending articles without so much as an
i-node warning from the kernel.
	I've not changed anything on the machine, except the news server
software, including the news spool which was in a state as to cause a panic
three minutes after inn began receiving articles.
	This seems to point at some behavior that the old version of inn
exaserbated, causing a panic.  If this is true, this behavior is still
causing a panic with -current, or at least, inn-1.4 can cause a panic with
-current within 10 minutes of actually beginning to move data.  Anyone got
any ideas?
-Brian