Subject: Re: your mail
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/15/2000 11:59:30
On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, der Mouse wrote:

# >> And an hour or two while it cranks away.
# > pkg_add ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.4.2/sparc/All/cvs\*
#
# I don't get it.  How would that speed up the compile?

It's a binary package he's teling you to download to avoid compilation.

Now, personally, what I'd do in your case were I worried about speed and
what not is download it binary and configure it (remember: only the
binaries and libs are hardcoded in the binaries themselves, not the
repository, which is the bulk of the setup work) while you're downloading
and compiling from source.  Kind of a two-step process.

# 					der Mouse

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: Multi-platform OS