Subject: Re: Trouble with installboot
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/14/2000 14:46:37
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> > Looks weird. What usually happens in indirect blocks is the negative
> > of the indirect block number [...] is stored in the inode,
>
> The *negative* of...?  What filesystem?  That's sure not how ffs has
> worked when I've looked at it.

All our ufs fs's. Looking at 1.4ish source, check around line 90 of
sys/ufs/ufs_bmap.c. Mine shows:

/*
 * Indirect blocks are now on the vnode for the file.  They are given negative
 * logical block numbers.  Indirect blocks are addressed by the negative
 * address of the first data block to which they point.  Double indirect blocks
 * are addressed by one less than the address of the first indirect block to

Take care,

Bill