Subject: Re: serial console question
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/14/2000 09:29:48
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> What happens when a serial console is disconnected from a running 1.4.x
> machine?  I've a few sparcs which will be running 1.4.1 or 1.4.2, however,
> I've only one vt420 :-( so I'll have to use a serial switch or
> equiv.  I've seen messages from people before (perhaps not on this port,
> sorry, can't remember) regarding halting the system when the serial
> console is removed.

yes, you can halt the system this way.  I have a couple of sparc 2's in my
lab connected with an A/B switch.  I made a minor modification to the
switch which consisted of adding a  couple of pullup resistors.  This
fixed the halting problem.  I'll retrieve the schematic next time I'm
there (in a few days), and forward to the list.  I got the info off the
web somewhere originally, just don't recall where.

-Dan