Subject: serial console question
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/14/2000 08:55:07
What happens when a serial console is disconnected from a running 1.4.x
machine?  I've a few sparcs which will be running 1.4.1 or 1.4.2, however,
I've only one vt420 :-( so I'll have to use a serial switch or
equiv.  I've seen messages from people before (perhaps not on this port,
sorry, can't remember) regarding halting the system when the serial
console is removed.

I'd also be worried about serial traffic queuing up due to no DCD or such.

Should I be concerned about this?  Or is this a non issue?

[OT: I remember these big old Stratus machines we used to use.  Fault
tolerant in most respects: host swappable CPU, memory, disk, p/s,
communications controllers, SCSI controlers, etc...  The only thing was
that you could crash them by unplugging the console and letting console
messages overflow their buffer...  for want of a nail the horse was
lost :-) ]

-Jon
 "Okay, who hit the scram switch on my coffee machine?"