Subject: Re: SPARCcenter 1000
To: Chris Torek <torek@BSDI.COM>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/08/2000 00:41:09
On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Chris Torek wrote:

# Just FYI, the "sun4d" (D == Dragon, I think) uses the "XBus", the Xerox
# bus, which is different from the S and M busses.  I have no idea what
# is actually required to support the XBus, but Sun assigned a separate
# CD-ROM boot partition for sun4d machines, so apparently they had
# different boot loaders and/or kernels.  (Sun also had different
# sun4c and sun4m kernels, yet both NetBSD and BSD/OS have a single
# combined sun4[cm] kernel, so this is not conclusive of anything.)

Sun4c and Sun4m are 32-bit, while Sun4d and Sun4u are 64-bit.

BTW:  I've never seen a zippier OS for the SPARCstation 5 than BSD.

# Chris

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: penguin flesh never tasted so good.