Subject: Re: source for sparcbook keyboard
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: simon <simon@laule.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/2000 12:31:52
Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com> writes>
>carton@Ivy.NET (Miles Nordin) writes:
>> I spilled powdery institutional hot chocolate on my sparcbook 3gx.  I've
>> dismantled, cleaned/inspected, tested, u.s.w., and it's definitely all
>> fine except for the keyboard.
>
>I once spilled the better part of a Sam Adams into my brand new at the
>time Sparc SLC's kbd.  Talk about your sticky, conducting mess!  I had
>great luck just disassembling it and exposing the keyboard/pc contact
>surface.  A few rinses with water and then "Formula 409" or "Fantasic"
>and I had all the beer off the switching surfaces.  It was a lot of
>work, but at the time the Sun keyboards were a quite a bit of money.
>Once it was totally dry I think I lubed it up with Cramolin
>(aka. tuner cleaner) and the kbd was good as new.
>-wolfgang

If you get down to the contact foil you should check (and recheck)
for burnt "wires".

My girlfriend once spilled exactly one drop of tea in here (at that
time new) iMac keyboard. The drop shorted several "wires", and the
current nearly burnt a part of a printed "wire".

I had good luck fixing a burnt printed "wire" on a PowerBook Duo
keyboard, but this keyboard is a different story (It is one of
the rare design "bugs" from Apple) Using liquid silver (a solvent
with small silver particles) i "repainted" the printed "wires".

Nevertheless i wish you good luck! Fixing keyboards is an ugly
job, especially if you have to reassemble the system to
check for success (several times...)

Simon.