Subject: Re: source for sparcbook keyboard
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/2000 00:04:05
carton@Ivy.NET (Miles Nordin) writes:
> I spilled powdery institutional hot chocolate on my sparcbook 3gx.  I've
> dismantled, cleaned/inspected, tested, u.s.w., and it's definitely all
> fine except for the keyboard.

I once spilled the better part of a Sam Adams into my brand new at the
time Sparc SLC's kbd.  Talk about your sticky, conducting mess!  I had
great luck just disassembling it and exposing the keyboard/pc contact
surface.  A few rinses with water and then "Formula 409" or "Fantasic"
and I had all the beer off the switching surfaces.  It was a lot of
work, but at the time the Sun keyboards were a quite a bit of money.
Once it was totally dry I think I lubed it up with Cramolin
(aka. tuner cleaner) and the kbd was good as new.

The hardest part was putting all the key caps back on. (Its amazing
how you can type all day, but if you have to put the damn keys back on
you can't remember for the life of you which key goes where.)

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/