Subject: Re: Exabyte 8500 drive tapes?
To: Yubyub bird <jonl@yubyub.net>
From: None <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/03/2000 23:55:44
On  2-Apr-00 at 21:06, Yubyub bird (jonl@yubyub.net) wrote:
> A quick tape question - I've got an exabyte 8500 connected to one of my
> ss5 boxes, and the drive keeps rejecting the tapes I feed it.  Does anyone
> know what kind of tapes to feed these guys?  I have a bunch of sony
> qc-112m tapes, which I thought would be right.

Looking through the tapes I've used with my 8505, I find:  3M D8-112,
Imation D8-112, Sony QG-112M, Maxell HS-8/112, and, of course Exatape 112.

> I actually just upgraded the firmware on the unit; it used to take the
> tapes before, and generated tons of media errors under 1.4.1; now it
> simply refuses the tapes.

That doesn't sound good.  The very first thing to do, if you haven't
already, is to run the head cleaning cartridge.  If that doesn't work,
you've probably developed a problem that will require adjusting or
rebuilding the drive.

-Pat