Subject: Re: Sun ZX (LEO) frame buffer
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/20/2000 04:53:39
>> Is there any plan to support this frame buffer in the NetBSD/Sparc kernel?
>
> I have one on loan and it's somewhere on my TODO list.

At the risk of sounding heretical ...

Why are we putting esoteric hardly-anybody-has-this sort of stuff like
SPARCprinter LPVI interfaces and ZX framebuffers on TODO lists?

At work I have a PowerMac G4 with 2 ATI cards in it, and 2 21" monitors.

It finally dawned on me that by putting up eXodus 7.0 onto the 2nd monitor,
I could run an XDMCP session to my SS20 and get a 1280x1024 X session on my
machine at Millions of Colors, whereas if I sat in front of the console, I
was limited to 1152x900 at 8-bit color with my GX, because there still isn't
support for even basic 24-bit color on the on-board CG14.

So I shut off my Sun monitor.

And of course I can't listen to MP3's on my SS20, because there's no audio
support ...

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like audio and 24-bit support for more common
24-bit framebuffers should be more important than lpvi drivers and ZX cards.

But hey, that's just me.

Back to lurking,

	- Greg