Subject: Re: Bootable CD image
To: Steven Ringwald <asric@asric.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/18/2000 19:13:54
    Date:        Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:59:19 -0800
    From:        "Steven Ringwald" <asric@asric.com>

  | Does anyone have an ISO image of a bootable CD for NetBSD/Sparc???

I have one which has 1.4.2 (preliminary - from before UNIONFS was
disabled by default), a 1.4.2-ALPHA and 19991223 and 20000304 snapshots
on it (with 1.4.2 prelim boot images - I haven't tested to see if that
will correctly install one of the snapshot versions).

I have installed 1.4.2 prelim from it, and that works.

It has sparc (only) binaries, plus sources for -release and -current
from about last weekend, and also (I believe) sources that relate to
the 1.4.2_ALPHA snapshot (no sources anywhere near the 19991223
snapshot though).   No pkgsrc binaries or distfiles (pkgsc itself
is there of course).

All this is about 400MB big.

I can make it available for FTP if anyone really wants it - but it
really is just as easy to make this for yourself (providing you have
a CD burner of course - without which the image is probably useless
anyway) - and you can make one yourself that contains what you want
rather than what I wanted included...

The build instructions are easy ...

Fetch the files you want on the CD - you need at least everything from
the .../binary/sets directory from the distribution that you want, you
also need the boot.fs (or syboot.fs) file that matches (and while that
can, and probably should, go on the CD image, it doesn't have to).
Fetch as much of that as you like, and which will fit on a CD image
(best not to go too much over 600MB so there is room for the boot images)
For later easy of installation, make the path "sparc/binary/sets"
contain the binary sets that you are most likely to want to install
(on my image that is the 1.4.2 prelim version).   Symlinks are fine for
that.   Put other sets of binary sets in paths you can type & remember
fairly easily.   Source sets (if you include them) can go anywhere you
can find them later.

Use mkisofs to make the CD image, make sure rockridge (-r or -R) is enabled.

Build mksunbootcd - if you haven't already - it lives in
	src/distrib/utils/mksunbootcd

run it as "mksunbootcd iso-image boot.fs boot.fs boot.fs"
where "iso-image" is the output from mkisofs and boot.fs is the
boot floppy image that you selected above (none of that needs to be
in the current directory)   I actually used "boot.fs syboot.fs syboot.fs"
as the boot images which works as described in a previous mesage
(should you desire you can append a couple of Sun3 type boot floppy
images to the end of the list - I have never tried that though).

That modifies iso-image to make it sparc bootable.   Then take the
modified iso-image to your burner, and burn onto an empty CDR or CDRW,
take that (once it is finished) to a sparc with an attached cd reader
and tell the sparc "boot cdrom".

It really is that easy...

kre