Subject: multi-boot sparc CD
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/17/2000 03:15:30
I have no idea whether anyone has done this before, but just in case
it hasn't been done, I thought I'd report that it works.

The "it" here is putting the two different sparc boot floppies on a CD
and allowing booting either one. (The almost current 1.4.2 snapshot was
what I used for this, but I can't see how the version could matter).

That is, I have it so that the default boot on a sun4 is the boot142.fs
(install script) version, and the default boot on a sun4c or sun4m os
syboot142.fs.   Then by using "boot cdrom:b" or "boot cdrom:c" (or :d)
either of those can be selected from the prom.

This probably doesn't make a lot of sense to people making boot cds
for their own use (you might just as well use the version you prefer
consistently) - but for those who make cootable sparc CDs for distribution
to others, this might be something worthwhile to consider doing.

It is more than kind of nice that Sun CDs need different images for the
different hardware types, and NetBSD doesn't...

kre