Subject: Re: second ethernet port
To: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2000 09:43:10
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Simon Raahauge DeSantis wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 10:46:31PM -0800, Jon Buller wrote:

[snip]

> > Does anyone know of a (reliable and cheap) source for a single SBUS
> > 10baseT or AUI card for my SPARCStation LX?  It could then become
> > a firewall filter in addition to it's duties as X server.  (The
> > firewall would also include proxy/NAT service, but I suppose it
> > could do that without the second interface...)
> >
> > Jon
>
> I'm using a qec/be (501-2655 I believe) card for a similar purpose in my IPX.
> I paid around $100 for it.

I picked up a 501-1881 from Rave for about $60 for exactly that
purpose.  It worked in my ss2, however, it has problems in my ss5's
(although that may have been fixed already in -current).

I also have a qec/be running, although I must say that the 100BT
performance on that card is generally lackluster for me,
and the media selection seems untrustworthy (it claims full duplex, but
two different switches and a link to another 100BT FDX card all claim it
was still running in half).  The qec/be, despite it's peculiarities, is
stable, though.  I'm waiting for the hme support ;-)

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...