Subject: Re: Bootable CD.
To: Sean Murphy <sean@cbrmain.cbr.nrc.ca>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/14/2000 03:57:10
    Date:        Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:37:42 -0400 (AST)
    From:        Sean Murphy <sean@cbrmain.cbr.nrc.ca>

  | Anyone know if mksunbootcd has been ported to other platforms?

I've run it on an i386.    That was 6 months ago, and my memory is
pretty hazy, but I don't think there was anything very complex to do
to make it work.

It isn't as if mksunbootcd is a very complex program (getting the
knowledge in order to create it would be the most difficult part).

  | Or if there's another way to make a CD bootable for sparc?

Someone mentioned the other day that the latest mkisofs has a -B option
for that purpose.  That one I haven't tried.

  | If all else fails, is there
  | anyone out there with a fast connection and a NetBSD Sparc who can
  | mksunbootcd an iso for me and put it somewhere so i can download it and
  | burn it?

If you wanted to do it that way, it would be far better for you to
make your iso image, and the boot floppy image that you want to use
available on an NFS exported (to the world) partition somewhere, and
let someone do it for you over the net - mksunbootcd consists of not
much more than appending the floppy image to the iso image a few times,
and dumping a label in the header part.

But if I were you, I'd just go compile mksunbootcd and run it locally.
(I think the most significant change I needed was to grab a local copy
of <dev/sun/disklabel.h> and change the #include path - but I don't remember
now why that was necessary - or even if it really was).

kre