Subject: Re: SLC 1.4.2 boot still fails
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/10/2000 19:07:06
> I have an SS1 with 32 megs, CG3, 850MB disk, and no floppy.
> I would like to do a network install on this box of 1.4.2.
>
> I've done network installs on Sun3 systems, and as I remember
> there is a netbsd-rd that allows partitioning of the drive before
> installing the miniroot. What am I looking for in the sparc 142
> distribution that I will need to load from the netboot prompt?

What you need are the INSTALL kernels _inside_ the {sy,}boot-142.fs.gz
floppy images.

I wanted to make some generic changes to produce these on all the ports
that didn't already provide them as separate files, but ran out of time.

I've manually extracted them and patched them into the directory on the
FTP site.

The only remaining problem is that these guys are large and require the
new boot blocks, so if it dies during the loading with "Illegal Instruction"
then we need to build a new boot.net.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com