Subject: heavy use of ffs breaks snap-20000304.sparc on sun4m machines.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/07/2000 01:28:33
	Hello.  Now that the 20000304 snapshot works with systems with 256MB
of memory out of the box, I tried my news server that won't run under 1.4.x
and 1.3.x to see if things improved with 1.4U.  The test takes 30 minutes
on this machine, and about 3 minutes of innd accepting articles and,
boom!!! just like the other versions.  Is there anything I can collect for
people, or suggestions on what I should do with -current to diagnose this
2-year-old problem?  Remember, I changed the machine, the memory, the
cards, the disk drives, everything except the operating system.  I've even
changed that too,  if you count 1.3.x and 1.4.x versions.  NetBSD 1.3.x ran
more stable than did 1.4.x in that it could run for a week, 1.4.x can't
make it 50 minutes.
	I've worked with Paul Kranenberg to try and reproduce the problem, but I
guess I can't seem to replicate the exact conditions for this crash except
on this production machine.  Would modern core dumps against the snapshot
GEENEREIC_SCSI3 kernel help?
Any ideas, solutions, spells, incantations, etc. would be greatfully
accepted.  I've tried to convince the owner of this machine that NetBSD is
a viable production system, but this would be the machine that won't run
for a day.  All the other NetBSD machines I manage run for years at a time,
with even more load.
-thanks
-Brian