Subject: Re: tape drive recommendation
To: Chris Rupnik <chrisr@geeknet.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/02/2000 09:27:34
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Chris Rupnik wrote:

> Hi
>  I got the sparc5 booting successfully now. I have two sparcs, a sparc 5
> and a sparc 10, with about 4 gigs of space total. What do you recommend
> for a tape backup? I tried on of those SCSI TR-4 Travan tape drives, but
> it would have so many scsi errors, it was unusable.
>
>  I also tried a HP-1502 tape drive, with the same result. This is the
> full height DDS-1 / scsi I drive, and i expect that the scsi I part was
> the problem
>
>  What do you recommend? I am guessing a DDS-3 is probably the best bet.

I've got a DDS-2 tape drive which works great on both my Intel boxes and
my sparcs (not to mention the alphas and hopefully the vaxes).  I think
it's a Seagate [yech!] Scorpion or such.  I've had it for a while, with
not a single problem (other than capacity :-)

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...