Subject: Re: netbooting an OF 1.0.5 macppc with SUNW,hme on PCI
To: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/01/2000 12:36:56
On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Erik Fair wrote:

> I had this idea. Since Apple's initial OF implementation sucks (in
> particular, the driver for the onboard ethernet is totally useless),
> I figured, why not find a PCI Ethernet card with decent Fcode on it,
> and try netbooting with that?

You might run into another problem. I was under the impression that the
Linux folks have netbooted these things (1.0.X OF machines). From what I
heard, the driver is goofy (you open it, and it starts a tftp session). My
concern is that the netbooting code is tuned to this goofyness. Thus if
you use a saner-OF ethernet card, then things might not work as it won't
misbehave as expected.

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill