Subject: NVRAM lost on pizzabox clone
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Reinhold Huber <rhuber@fs.tum.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/29/2000 16:58:33
Hello,

I've successfully installed NetBSD on a machine which seems to be
a sparc-2 clone. I have no manufacturerr, just some parts of description.
If necessary, I can supply additional info, like NetBSD-1.4.1 bootup
messages, if the exact machine type is neccessary info.

The machine has an emty NVRAM battery, so the PROM environment variables
are set to defaults, and the MAC address and host ID bits are all set to
one (MAC ff:...:ff, hostid = 2^32-1).

Solaris apparently sets the MAC address to zero, and can communicate within
the LAN, but NetBSD leaves the MAC address at ff:...:ff. Is this a reason
for other machines not to answer to pings?

Where do I find info on if I can set the MAC address of the le0 interface
of the machine, and if I can, then how?

NetBSD bootup tells me:

mainbus0 (root): SUNW, Sun 4/75
cpu0 at mainbus0: cache chip bug; trap page uncached: CY7C601@40 MHz, TMS 390C602A FPU

The boot prom gives: OPUS Systems GX SPARCstation 2, ROM rev. 2.6 and
below: The IDPROM contents are invalid.
The CPU is a LSI Logic L64811GC-40s SPARC IU, and there's an 80 MHZ Quartz
near it, which fits to the 40 MHz.

The machine is a little bit pointless for me without network, so I'd be
very grateful for info which tells me where to find more info.

Thanks in advance,
Reinhold Huber