Subject: Re: 4/330 serial console probs
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2000 13:32:39
Jarkko Hermanni Teppo wrote:
> So, how can I interrupt the diags (they take forever) and what\'s wrong ?
> The diagnostics usually fail at the first try with
> (sorry, no notes) eeprom blablaa wrote x expected y looping.
> Power cycling seems to help.

I guess this points to failing hardware somewhere.  Presumably, it starts to
work once it gets warmed up (I have a Sun3/80 video card like that).  If you
mean 'how can I interrupt the diagnostics and get it to boot?', I don't think
there is a way, apart from to flip the norm/diag switch.  If the diagnostics
pass, you should see the banner message in 'normal' mode.  This should have
the model (Sun 4/300), rom revision, host id and ethernet address in a 4 (?)
line banner.  Then you'll get to the PROM prompt '>'.

> I\'m really a novice with Sun hw so please excuse my ignorance :)
> Today I\'ll try to install 1.4.1 via network so any hints appreciated...

Read the Sparc install notes, the FAQ and the diskless manual page.  Mail
here if you get stuck ;-)

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/