Subject: Re: INSTALL kernels on release branch broken?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/2000 01:14:42
> [The bootloader is] run in physical mode, and writing to non-existent
> memory doesn't appear to produce any sort of bus fault--

This matches my experience, and applies to even a fully running OS.  (I
hacked on the kernel so that /dev/mem allowed access to the first 64M
of physical space regardless, and found that I could access nonexistent
memory just fine, provided I didn't mind not necessarily getting back
what I wrote.)

> the bootloader appears to fail with an illegal instruction after
> jumping to an area with no RAM.  Given this, one could write a test
> pattern into each 4 MB memory range above the first until one reads
> back correctly, and then relocate there.

Are there models of SPARC on which the PROM does not provide an
"available memory" map?  I would hesitate to make it do its own memory
testing, especially since the ROM code steals a small amount of memory
somewhere for its own purposes, and if we trash that things are liable
to break - and the only reliable way to know where it is is to ask the
code that set it up.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca