Subject: Re: Netbooting a SparcStation4
To: Sean Murphy <sean@cbrmain.cbr.nrc.ca>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/24/2000 11:09:49
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Sean Murphy wrote:

[snip]

> So it looks like everythings going good, but the bootparamd never gets any
> requests.  I notice that the rarpd never says that it's sending an IP like
> its supposed to, just "reply sent".  I've got the ethers file with the
> proper MAC address in it on the server and a corresponding entry for the
> client in the server's host file.  Any idea why rarpd isn't sending an IP
> to the client?

[snip]

I could suggest two things... 1) can you do a tcpdump on the boot
server?  This should hopefully tell you whether the sparc 4 is even
requesting properly (perhaps it's requesting bootp, not
bootparams?).  2) try running bootparamd in a debug mode, or examine the
log files.  It may be complaining that it can't find the entry (mistyped
mac address, etc...).

Some other things might be: is this a flat network connecting the two
boxes, or is there a switch/router in between?  I remember having problems
with a switch when booting my VAXes from a sparc on the other side of a
switch... not sure if it applies here, but it might pay to take a quick
look.

Hopefully these should give you some pointers as to where the problem is.

Hope this helps.

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...