Subject: Re: INSTALL kernels on release branch broken?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/22/2000 09:34:36
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> > near the end, when it trashes itself, producing an illegal instruction
> > exception) would be perfectly consistent with that. Stripping the kernel
> > would probably be a good way to test this theory, if you get past the
> > first two sets of numbers and the `]' during the load.
>
> Stripping the kernel gets it to finish loading.

Good! Well, and bad, too. We need to make the INSTALL kernel smaller. The
first thing to do, I'd think, is see if there's much extra space on
the memory disk we can trim. We need to leave a bit so that people can
create small shell scripts, edit disklabels and the like, but we don't
need dozens of kilobytes. One also wonders if there are any programs we
can remove.

Next, are there any devices or networking options or whatever we can
remove? Do we really need DDB in the install kernel? Unfortunately,
I don't see much other than this to remove.

> However: what does this mean?
>
> md0: fixed, 3528 blocksdevice_register boot device mismatch
> 	bootdv=fd0
> 	altbootdev=NOT FOUND
> RETURN to continue

No clue, sorry. I can't even find the message in current sources, and
I don't have a 1.4 branch checkout handy.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org