Subject: Re: INSTALL kernels on release branch broken?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/21/2000 05:08:00
> > Building the 1.4 release branch from 20000127 I get INSTALL kernels that
> > croak on an Illegal Instruction before they get anywhere. By this I mean
> > that it hasn't even finished printing the numbers while it loads the kernel
> > and it bombs back to the OF prompt.
>
> Uh...printing which numbers? The ones that print like [123+456]+768.etc.
> with the spinner are actually printed by the second-stage boot
> loader.

Yeah, those. It does it nearly at the end, so I'm not sure if it is the
boot loader that dies or if bombing back to the bootrom kills the last
few characters -- can that ever happen with the Sun OF console ?

> Could it be size issues? I know that the INSTALL kernel is rather
> larger than other kernels. Do you have a 16 MB or a 4 MB SIMM in
> the first SIMM socket on your IPX?

Four 16 MB SIMMs, so it wouldn't be a lack of memory.

Back when the load address was being moved around, did people change the
release branch at all? Maybe my checkout was during a transition...

Like I said, I'll be getting new release sources soon, so if we're lucky
it will just turn out to have been my problem.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com