Subject: Re: Supported models (was Re: Sun 4/4xxx support?)
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/17/2000 13:56:46
> I just tried -current as of yesterday using the TADPOLE3GX config file.
> Serial ports do not work.  External keyboard does, but external mouse does
> not (and I *hate* that little joy pointer thing ;).  Internal modem does
> not work.

> NetBSD 1.4S (TADPOLE3GX) #0: Tue Feb 15 14:19:13 PST 2000
>     mw@gizmotosh:/mnt/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/TADPOLE3GX
> zs0 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x100000 level 12 softpri 6
> zstty0 at zs0 channel 0
> zstty1 at zs0 channel 1
> zs1 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x0 level 12 softpri 6
> kbd0 at zs1 channel 0 (console)
> ms0 at zs1 channel 1
> slavioconfig at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 not configured
> auxreg0 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x900000
> auxio2 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x910000 not configured
> tctrl0 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0xd1000020 level 11
> tctrl0: main power available, internal battery attached, external mouse attached
> clk-ctrl at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x3c0000 not configured

Looking back at the thread 'really no help?' in Jan (where the DBRI has to
be enabled in the auxio), I'd hazard a guess that the only serial channel
enabled by the PROM is the keyboard one.  According to the 3GX manual, the
serial channels are controlled by the slavio.  It might be worth looking at
the properties of the slavioconfig device from the PROM, to see if there are
any obvious settings there.  I see also that the external keyboard and mouse
are multiplexed through the tctrl0, but it's not obvious if something needs
to be configured there too.

> BTW, as to suspend/resume, is there anything in the works to support
> non-intel hardware?  I know sparc, macppc, mac68k, and a bunch of other
> platforms support laptops.  They'd be a lot more useful as laptops (as
> opposed to portable desktops) if we didn't have to reboot every time
> they're moved.

I'd guess that support on Intel platforms is quite easy, as the BIOS does
this for them.  However, I didn't see anything in the (Tadpole) PROM to
do suspend/resume.  Maybe I've missed something.  If it's not there, then
the OS has to handle it.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/