Subject: Re: Supported models (was Re: Sun 4/4xxx support?)
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2000 22:14:58
At 10:53 PM +0000 2/14/00, David Brownlee wrote:

:)	It looks like its supported in -cuurebt - have you tried a
:)	recent sparc snapshot?

I just tried -current as of yesterday using the TADPOLE3GX config file.
Serial ports do not work.  External keyboard does, but external mouse does
not (and I *hate* that little joy pointer thing ;).  Internal modem does
not work.

I tested using kermit on slowlaris and NetBSD.  Under NetBSD, kermit
reported it didn't get a carrier detect from either serial port, and no
data was transmitted or received.  As to the internal modem, when I tried
using kermit to /dev/ttyc or /dev/ttyd it reported device not configured.
I'm assuming here that the internal modem would be attached to ttyc.  Under
slowlaris, I connect to /dev/cua/c and can send AT commands to the modem
and get normal responses.

Under slowlaris, external mouse and keyboard work fine.

I'd be happy to run some openboot commands and/or weird probing software if
someone wants to try out theories on how to get serial stuff working.

Also, I realized why 1.4.2_ALPHA doesn't support tadpoles in the GENERIC
kernel -- the tadpole patches haven't been pulled into the release tree
yet.  This should definitely go on the list of supported models as "only
under -current".

BTW, as to suspend/resume, is there anything in the works to support
non-intel hardware?  I know sparc, macppc, mac68k, and a bunch of other
platforms support laptops.  They'd be a lot more useful as laptops (as
opposed to portable desktops) if we didn't have to reboot every time
they're moved.

  -- MW