Subject: Re: Netboot SS4 and install NetBSD -- Success!
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/14/2000 16:33:37
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	That would only apply in this case if the miniroot or sysinst
> 	installer is running from the nfs root?

Correct.  I think that base.tgz doesn't extract the empty /kern directory,
so it should only happen when a person has set up an nfs root for a
box.  I've only ever used the miniroot once, and I don't remember having
this problem with it.

Actually, if that were the case (if base.tgz didn't create /kern), then
all installations should suffer, not just the nfs root, right?  I've
always done a "tar -xvpf" to extract the files when creating an nfs root
directory, and maybe that's incorrect.  Does sysinst use different
options to extract archives? (I'm not a pax user, so you might have to
translate for me :-)

> 	(To clarify my initial message: I fully believe that something
> 	broke when /kern was not present - instead of saying "it was not
> 	NetBSD's detection of devices" I should have asked for more
> 	details to help to work out what was broken and what we could
> 	do to fix it... Apologies :)

Cool... I guess I should have been clearer as well.  Oh well; as long as
we all are on the same page :-)

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...